Shantadurga Temple Goa
The charming temples of Shree Shantadurga, situated 33 kms from Panajim at Kavlem, in Ponda Taluka, Goa. The temple is devoted to Shantadurga, the goddess who mediates between Vishnu and Shiva. Localized legends say of a battle between Shiva and Vishnu The clash was so brutal that Lord Brahma prayed to Parvati to intervene, which she did in the form of Shantadurga. Shantadurga allotted Vishnu on her right hand and Shiva on her left hand and after that settled the struggle. In the Sanskrit language, Shanta implies peace. Thus by pairing the two names, appeared the name Shantadurga, who has now come to be the Goddess of Peace.
This modern temple structure of Shree Shantadurga devi was engineered during the period from 1713 a.d to 1738 a.d. It is a fusion of Indo-Portuguese architecture.The great idol of Goddess Shree Shanta Durga has a six inch coloured Shivalinga adjacent to it.Many renovations have been finished in recent years to the main temple and to the historic temples of various other deities besides the agarshala which is built on three side panels of the temple. The temple consists of a collection of pyramidal roofs with an attractive dome. The pillars and flooring surfaces are made from Kashmir stone. The temple has a huge tank, a Dipa Stambha and agrashalas (visitor residences).
In the temple the deity of Shanta Durga is observed holding two serpents one in each hand representing Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. The goddess is said to have to Shankawali to kill the demons harassing the Brahmins there. It is for this good deed that she as well earned the name of Vijaya.
At the entrance, one can observe a large number of flower vendors selling hibiscus, white tuberosesm frangipani, marigold and conch shells. A high entry stairs, shaded by a spreading peepal tree leads to to Shri Shantadurga’s court-yard. The courtyard is enclosed by workplace and blocks of innovative pilgrim’s hostels. Before the entrance courtyard a massive water tank can be watched on the left hand. On the left side of the court-yard is dominated by a octagonal 6 storeyed white Deepa Stambh. On festival days, the tower is decorated with numerous oil lamps. Behind this, is the temple office. The major temple is at the center.
The Pallakhi of Sri Shantadurga is held on every single panchami while yearly jatra is celebrated from Magha Suddha prathipada to Shuklapanchami. Navaratri is usually celebrated with Makharotsava.