Interview with Anna Bak : An Accomplished Travel Photographer
Anna has been interested in photography for as long as she can remember. She has always been very curious about the world around her which has almost subconsciously led her to what she does. She is a professional photographer based in NYC. Presently she is working as a freelancer for various clients.
1. Tell us a little bit about you.
I was born and raised in Poland where I attended university and obtained my degree in Business. Shortly after I entered the field of Accounting. Almost immediately I knew in my heart of hearts this profession was not part of my destiny.
Moving to New York gave me the opportunity to follow my childhood dreams. It was the place where photography and travel became a reality. I traveled with my sister for a month. During that time she wrote an article on National Parks in the USA for the Polish Magazine SUKCES.
I was able to experience the great importance of living my passion and following my dreams.
2. What does photography mean to you?
Photography is part of my life. I have been interested in photography for as long as I can remember. I have always been very curious about the world around me, which has almost subconsciously led me to what I do.
3. Photography is your passion or profession or both?
Photography is my passion and profession. I use photography as a form of self-expression and make my pictures for everyone. My choice of subject comes from many different places and I find my inspiration from everywhere. The art of photography offers me the opportunity to discover and depict the beauty in everything.
4. How did you get into travel photography?
As a teenager I became captivated by travel photography. I visited countries in Europe and Asia and found every trip to be a new experience. I was able to meet new people and experience different cultures.
5. How do you describe your photographic vision? What kind of feel do you try and create in your photos?
My vision is to capture something unique in every subject that I photograph, something that makes the subject specific and distinct. My vision is also to preserve intimate moments. The passion in those moments become invaluable memories to share for years to come. It is ART in the making. I do not plan or stage my photos. I create pictures by intuition. I innately know the exact time to click the exposure button and let life unfold before me. I capture and present it as I see it and bring my own unique perspective to everyday life. I’m an observer of humanity. My role is to document the world I live in and tell its story from my point of view.
6. Did you go to school to study photography?
I studied at ICP (International Center of Photography) and Photo Manhattan. Both schools are located in New York City.
7. What type of camera and lenses do you use?
I use a Canon 5D Mark III. One of my favorite lenses is Canon 24-105.
8. What are the characteristics that a good Travel Photographer needs to have?
For me travel photography is about an inner connection, to be able to follow your heart and to be humble and open to the unknown. Life is big mystery.
9. Could you please share the Happiest Moment in your Photography Life?
I have experienced many happy moments while taking photos. A few examples include watching a sunrise in Horseshoe Bend, Arizona, smoking praying tobacco with Navajo Indians, seeing the most beautiful tree in Joshua Tree National Park, visiting abandoned places and opening the box containing my dream camera—Canon 5 D Mark III.
10. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement is bringing joy to people. I see the pleasure in their eyes as they look at photos I have taken.
11. How important is Photoshop in your final images?
I do not use Photoshop very often. I like to use Lightroom and Aurora HDR.
12. Any specific tips you have for newbie photographers?
Take as many pictures as you can. Practice is the best experience.
13. You have a website also, please tell me about that?
14. What do you do when you are not clicking any pics?
I love yoga, hiking, ice climbing, listening to music, spending time with friends and family and meeting new people.
15. So what’s next on your list?
At the end of the June I’m embarking on a road trip. I’ll be traveling from New York to New Mexico. I’m thinking about taking a trip around the world. My biggest dream is to travel to Africa.
16. If you could live anywhere on this awesome planet, where would you build your dream home?
My dream home will be near the ocean. I love swimming, the sunset and nature.
17. Words and suggestions about my website http://www.indiaataglance.com/
It is a great website. I hope it will encourage people to follow their dreams and to live their lives with purpose and enjoy every moment.